Hippo thought there should really be a series called Hippos 101 to help prospective hippopotamus adoptees. Until that happens, he would like to share these fun facts from the San Diego Zoo:
- A hippo weighs between 3,000 and 10,000 pounds.
- Hippos live about 45 years.
- Hippos can go up to 3 weeks without eating. But they really prefer to have three square meals a day plus second breakfast, mid-afternoon snack, dessert, and some bedtime grazing.
- If you visit a hippo at the zoo and he's underwater, you might have a long wait. They can hold their breath for up to 30 minutes.
- Hippos are one of the noisiest animals in Africa.